DOST-STRAND Scholarship – The Department of Science and Technology-Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) announces the availability of scholarships for qualified males and females to pursue Master’s and Doctoral programs in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) courses including Science and Mathematics Education under the Science and Technology Regional Alliance of Universities for National Development (STRAND).
The program aims to:
- strengthen the faculty profile of universities in the provinces by providing graduate scholarships to its faculty members who will eventually spur the research and development activities in the regions;
- train high-level human resources needed for S&T activities in the regions/provinces who will contribute to the country’s global competitiveness and economic development; and
- provide opportunities to talented and deserving S&T professionals in the provinces to pursue advance degrees in STEM priority fields.
TYPE OF SCHOLARSHIPS
Master’s in STEM programs (2 years)
Doctoral in STEM programs (3 years)
The following universities were assessed and classified into these strands:
This STRAND component shall strengthen the faculty profile of the university by granting graduate scholarships to its faculty members in identified fields where the university will niche. The scholar shall pursue graduate studies in any of the member-universities of the DOST-SEI Graduate Scholarship consortia, i.e. ASTHRDP-NSC and ERDT Consortium, and CBPSME-NCGSME.
- Cagayan State University
- Palawan State University
- Eastern Visayas State University
This STRAND component shall provide scholarships for masters and/or doctoral in identified STEM degrees in identified universities as long as they strictly comply with the policies and standards on graduate education per existing CHED issuances. Moreover, the Program shall strengthen the faculty profile of a STRAND 2 university by granting graduate scholarships to its faculty members in identified STEM where it will niche.
|CAR||Saint Louis University||
|I||Mariano Marcos State University||
|II||Nueva Vizcaya State University||
Mathematics/Science Education (General Science)
Mathematics/ Science Education (General Science)
|IV-A||Batangas State University||
Electronics and Communications Engineering
|X||Central Mindanao University||
Education (Biology, Mathematics, General Science)
Education (Biology, Mathematics, General Science)
|University of Science and Technology of Southern Philippines—Cagayan de Oro City||
Applied Mathematical Science
Science Education (Chemistry)
Mathematical Sciences (Applied Mathematics)
|XI||University of Southeastern Philippines||
Environmental Science and Resource Management
Library Information Science
|BARMM||Mindanao State University– Marawi||
CRITERIA OF ELIGIBILITY
An applicant must:
- be a Filipino citizen;
- not be more than 50 years old at the time of application;
- be in good health condition and of good moral character;
- pass the admission requirements for graduate studies in any of the STRAND 2 universities; STRAND university-based faculty-applicant must seek admission in any of the member-university-based faculty applicant must seek admission in any of the member-universities of the ASTHRDP-NSC or the ERDT Consortium or the CBPSME-NCGSME
- pass the interview and screening procedure.
Who else may apply?
- PhD graduate in a priority S&T program (scholar or non-scholar) who intends to pursue a second PhD degree.
- MS/PhD non-scholar graduate (not S&T related) who intends to pursue a second MS/PhD degree.
Who may NO longer apply?
- PhD graduate (scholar or non-scholar) who intends to pursue another MS degree program.
- MS graduate in a priority S&T program (scholar or non-scholar) who intends to pursue a second MS degree.
- Accomplished ASTHRDP-NSC Information Sheet/ Application Form (Downloadable at www.sei.dost.gov.ph or thru the websites of the NSC member- universities)
- Birth Certificate (Photocopy);
- Certified True Copy of the Official Transcript of Records;
- Endorsement from:
|MS||From 2 former college professors|
|PhD||From 2 former professors in the Master’s Program|
- If employed, recommendation and permission from head of agency to take a leave of absence while on scholarship or proof of resignation or termination of contract;
- Career Plans (Form A);
- Research Plans (Form B);
- Medical Certificate stating that applicant is of good health condition and fit to study from a licensed physician with his/her PRC license number indicated (Form C);
- Valid NBI Clearance;
- Letter of Admission with Regular status from the Program Head of the accepting institution and copy of the Admission Evaluation Sheet and;
- Approved Program of Study.
Additional Requirements for Lateral Applicants
- Certification from university indicating the following:
- number of graduate units required in the program
- number of graduate units earned with corresponding grades
|MS (Php)||PhD (Php)|
|Tuition & other school fees||Actual|
|Thesis/ Dissertation, outright||60,000||100,000|
1 4-year Straight-PhD Program: MS stipend rate during 1st year.
2 One (1) actual economy class round trip fare per Academic Year; given only to those who study outside their home province; on reimbursement basis
3 Must be applied by the scholar, subject to evaluation and approval. Grant approved is subject to liquidation.
The stipends in the remaining months of scholarship period shall be given to a scholar who completes his/her degree earlier than the prescribed period of his/her study.
|Particulars||First Semester of AY 2021-2022|
|Applicant to University||June 30, 2022|
|University to SEI||July 29, 2022|
TERMS OF SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
- The scholarship award shall be for full-time graduate studies to ensure on time completion of Master’s/PhD degree in any of the DOST identified priority fields.
- The scholar must not be employed or practicing his/her profession while on scholarship; he/she must secure approval for official leave of absence, if employed.
- The awardee shall execute a Scholarship Agreement with DOST.
- The academic performance of the scholar shall be evaluated every school term based on established policies to determine his/her scholarship status.
- A service obligation to be rendered in the Philippines shall be required of the scholar after he/she finishes the Master’s/PhD degree, i.e. one year service for every year of scholarship.
- Refund of scholarship grant with interest shall be required of the scholar for non-completion of his/her graduate program or failure to comply with the service obligation.
SELECTION OF AWARDEES
- Evaluation of accomplished application form and requirements by the University.
- Validation and selection of qualifiers by SEI.
- Approval of the list of awardees by the DOST Secretary.
- The list of awardees approved by the DOST Secretary is final and unappealable.