Kedgeree Recipe – Kedgeree is a breakfast that originated in England.
This breakfast dish uses smoked whitefish with rice and eggs. The English adaptation of kedgeree is based on a dish from India known as Rhichri that uses similar ingredients.
- 2 cups of basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces of smoked white fish such as haddock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ¼ cup frozen green peas
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- ½ cup plain yogurt
To make the kedgeree follow these steps:
- Cook the rice by following the directions on the package. Once the rice is cooked drain it.
- Put the eggs in a saucepan and cover them with water. Allow them to come to a boil. Immediately remove the eggs from the heat. All of them to stand for 12 minutes. Peel and chop the eggs.
- Put the fish in a skillet with the bay leaf. Add enough milk so that the fish is covered. Allow the fish to cook over medium heat until it begins to flake. Take the fish out of the pan and flake it with a fork. The milk will no longer be needed.
- In a skillet melt the butter. Add the curry powder. Add the peas and onions. Cook until the onions are no longer hard. Add this mixture to the rice. Add the eggs and the fish. Season with salt and pepper. This should be served hot and yogurt can be served on the side.
If the kedgeree is not being served immediately after cooking there is a way to keep it warm and fresh. Put it into a dish with a couple of cubes of better. Before serving cover the kedgeree with foil and put it in the oven on lower for 20 minutes.